Surplus timber was cut up and sold as logs for fuel throughout the London area and principally in the immediate vicinity of the Castles Head Office at Baltic Wharf, Millbank. Logs were frequently sold to the House of Commons, Buckingham Palace, St. James's Palace and the Bank of England.
The celebrated old oak and ships timber logs were distinguished by their beautifully coloured flames created by the sheathing left from the copper bolts utilised in the construction of the wooden sailing ships.
Logs were sold in loads of not less than 400. Bundles for lighting fires were available in quantities of 100. The last known prices around 1930 were 35s.0d.for a load of logs and 3s.6d.per bundle.
Castles Shipbreaking - Castles History Project
All information on this site is protected by copyright. (C) 2006 - 2016 Castles Shipbreaking.