• Ganges Cross

    In 1933 the construction of the new Cathedral in Guilford located at Stag Hill was initiated, but prior to the start of the building works a large wooden cross was erected on the site. The materials were recycled timber from the famous wooden ship of the line HMS Ganges, which was at that time being broken up at the Yard of Castles Shipbreaking in Plymouth.

    The cross itself was prepared and built by Castles’ craftsmen based at the Castles Yard on the River Thames at Longs Wharf Woolwich. It was later transported by road and by horse drawn wagons to its final position on Stag Hill.

    The foregoing picture shows the cross about to be erected by workmen from a local builder and also with the assistance of staff sent from Castles Shipbreaking.